After having successfully adhered flat vinyl to flat sheet metal, the challenged was stepped up just a bit for the waterfall. Factory 5 provided plain black vinyl for the waterfall that you are supposed to adhere (seriously.. watch how to do it on YouTube). However, I wanted it to have a bit more pop, so we stuck with the two-tone theme and added some ivory vinyl, quilted stripes behind the seats.
I cut the very nice piece of black vinyl they gave me into three pieces, and sewed two strips of ivory in between, measured so that they would end up behind the seats.
After this, I was bad about taking pictures, but basically, I took some of the new headliner I purchased and spray basted it to the back of the ivory section. This would allow some cushion and make it stand out from the flat black. I then quilted a seam down the center, as well as added some seams in coordinating thread to the outside of the black and ivory sections. The sewing machine bobbin pulled a bit, so we had a lot of extra thread in the back that would have come apart if we weren’t cementing the entire piece onto the fiberglass – lesson to have another person help with the sewing by making sure the vinyl stays taut.
Drew then became a professional vinyl applier. Working in sections, he slowly adhered the vinyl to the waterfall with contact cement. It actually stretched pretty well around all of the curves. We started with two pieces on the edges. I think that the directions provided from Factory 5 said to do the same. We had some issues keeping the very concave curves in place, but luckily they get covered by the seats so no one will ever know..
Another upgrade, I stitched the edges of our two-tone piece that would go over the vinyl edges. The directions didn’t say to, but it looks a lot more finished. We clipped the edges and brought them around the outside of the waterfall. Overall, we are very impressed with the amateur upholstery job – and are much happier than the plain black (at least I am, I think Drew likes it (correction – he says he “really likes it).
A break in the sewing projects has given me a chance to make Delores some new duds. The kit came with plain black vinyl for the waterfall covering and quilted black vinyl door panels with no door handles (just a rod that you push) and plastic armrests. I told Drew that if he is going to spend this much money on a custom car, the inside should look nice… I also couldn’t figure out how to open the doors from inside anyway, so we definitely needed some new handles.
We are going with a two-toned theme on the outside, so we decided to carry that inside. I found some cream vinyl and purchased some headliner. First step was to remove the black vinyl that was glued to the metal door panels with a putty knife. After it was removed, Drew fit-up the bare metal panels and pre-drilled all the holes for final mounting (this would have actually been very challenging if the vinyl was already installed…).
I kept the quilted look on the door panels but made them two-toned with black and cream using the headliner as the quilted liner. The sewing machine did just fine after I got a roller foot, leather needle, and upholstery thread. After sewing the two pieces together and quilting with coordinating thread, I cut the finished vinyl to fit the metal panel then added the trim. So far this is 99% like cotton quilting.
After the pieces were the right size, we watched some YouTube videos about installing auto vinyl. We would have definitely done it wrong if we didn’t complete this step.
Step 1: Paint both sides with contact cement and let it dry.
Step 2: Sit the two pieces together and stretch to fit.
Step 3: Apply contact cement to the trim and back of the metal panel, stretch the trim around the panel and adhere to the back.
Step 4: Since I didn’t want a pucker at the seam (in order to attach some chrome trim here… possibly), Drew had pre-drilled me some holes in the metal that I used to sew the panel to the metal sheet along my seam after it was glued. This also had the unintentional consequence of making the line between the colors much more clean.
The door panels look much more stylish than the plain black, plus new billet door handles.
Its Christmas time, which means in our house we are rushing to finish projects. The weekend before Christmas, I was finishing a quilt to send off to Wisconsin, planning out a children’s teepee project for our niece and nephew, and the body panels of Drew’s hot rod arrived by 18-wheeler on our tiny Heights street. The teepee was started a mere few days before Christmas, but it all came together nicely.
I used a few online tutorials to get the pattern for the teepee project. My main materials are two curtain panels from Target, which were less expensive than 9 yards of thick fabric. I saw many other blogs where painters canvas was used, which would work – but isn’t that colorful. I also made all the bias tape from fabric that the kids’ mother gave me from her previous classroom decorations. Drew took care of the dowels – 5 x 1.5″ x 6′.
My cutout dimensions of each fifth of the teepee was parallelogram 37″ wide at the base, 9″ wide at the top, and 55″ high. For the door fifth, I had to cut a half out of each panel, but that allowed me to reuse the curtain seams as the door opening seams. These measurements include seam allowance and account for the space needed for the pole pockets – which I sewed using a French seam method and are on the inside of the teepee.
I also made a quick banner using the same yellow fabric and felt – I just felt like it needed something extra.
It was a success – the kids really liked it and would watch movies and play inside for the rest of our holiday week.